Monday, May 11, 2009

Wow...where to start? Smoky Mountains?


There are just so many things that have happened since I last posted. We are definitely tardy in updating the blog- for many reasons including not having reliable internet, slow at uploading photos, and laziness.

My "I've been driving...too busy to blog" face. =)

In any case, here is a recap. We arrived in the Great Smoky Mountains on April 23rd and camped at Elk Mont campground for three nights. Wow, we came at the perfect time! The dogwood trees were in bloom, there weren't too many mosquitos (and I think the bug repellent arm bracelet worked) and the weather was nice. We did catch a little bit of rain on our third night that got our tent wet, but overall it was very nice! We saw some wild turkey, drove through some very beautiful scenic roads through the park, and did a hike out to some waterfalls. We also drove out on Cades Cove and saw some of the historic buildings- houses, barns, grist mills, etc. And of course, we got to listen to some Appalachian music, banjoes and all!

We were in NC just for the drive though...must come back in the future!

Setting up camp! Elk Mont was a nice campground. They even had a little store where they sold ice and firewood for CHEAP! Shocking since usually places like those charge you an arm and a leg.

Trees in full bloom in the Smokies


Dinner our first night...Zataran's Jambalaya...sadly better than the stuff I got in New Orleans. Next time I will do better research beforehand!

I love reading by lantern in the tent!

Dogwoods in bloom...gorgeous!

Meadows in Cades Cove

Old home in the Smoky Mountains

Church in the Smoky Mountains

A still-working grist mill in the Smokies!

One of my favorite pictures of Adam...hanging out in the tent!

The view of the Smokies from Clingmans Dome

Waterfalls and creeks were everywhere in the Smokies!


At the end of our time in the Smokies, we met up with Jennifer and her family at one of the picnic areas in the park that was right off of the river/creek. It was fun chowing down with the Gambles and climbing along the rocks with Jennifer before we headed into Knoxville for some good ol' Tennessee fun!



Rock hopping in the freezing water!


No comments: